Friday, March 21, 2008

My friend LENY and I went to Maryvale Baseball Park today to catch the Brewers/Padres Spring Training game. I got to the park early and bought the tickets, Section 103 Row D Seats 9 & 10. The Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat with an orange slice was mighty tasty on an 85 degree day.

When we got to our seats, I noticed a guy dressed in black sitting one row in front of us. I caught a glimpse of his sideburns and said to LENY, "That's The Honky Tonk Man." At first, LENY thought it was just an Elvis impersonator. However, it did turn out to be the greatest WWE Intercontinental Champion ever, The Honky Tonk Man.

LENY and I had a chance to talk to Roy (his real name) for a few innings before he went up to the press box. As a favor to one of the Brewers' PR guys, Roy was supposed to throw out the first pitch before the game, but had an injury to his right pectoral muscle and had to decline. He was very gracious with the fans and signed some autographs and took a few pictures when they came down to meet him. He got a nice ovation when he was introduced during the game.


Tomorrow, The Honky Tonk Man, who lives in the Phoenix area, is headed to St. Louis for a non-wrestling appearance and then on to Milwaukee and Racine for a couple of matches. I hope he packs his winter clothes. During the game, I called my brother in Waukesha and he said that 10 inches of snow was on the ground and four inches more were expected tonight.


Now you know why I live in The Valley of the Sun.